Thursday, June 23, 2016

Significant Saskatchewan (to me)

Today was an easy day.  The first thing we did when we left our site is we went to the Fletwode area, and the Hermon United Church where my Dad's ashes are interred at his Father's grave.  It's such a nice, peaceful location, isolated on top of a hill in the middle of virtually, nowhere.


A nice dedication plaque about the church.


We left there after a bit, then drove down to Moose Mountain Provincial Park.  We saw this sign along the road, which I thought was hilarious.  Funny-looking children, if you ask me!


This is Kenosee Lake in the park taken from the Visitor's Centre.  They use the centre for weddings and the like.  It's a beautiful building and lawn.


We did a hike in the park and just generally looked around.  There are actually people who live in homes here in the park.  The only one in Saskatchewan, we understand.

The significance of the park to me is that my Grandfather worked here at the park many eons ago, after coming from the UK.  It wasn't a park then.  That would be somewhere between 1908 and 1920.  My Dad was born near here, and grew up around here.  He used to tell me about riding a horse through the park area, hunting elk for food.

We did see Bambi and his mother.  So cute.  They were gone before I could even raise the camera (phone).

After we were done there, we headed back to our RV.  Later in the day, we did a short walk around the town of Kipling.  We came across this Big Red Paperclip, apparently in the Guinness Book of World Records.

So I looked it up.  Here's a website describing what this is all about.  We didn't go to the house.  Interesting story.  http://townofkipling.ca/visitors/red-paperclip-story/

We found this millennium time capsule too.  It was surrounded by shrubs.  I guess they want people to just forget about it for some time.


So tomorrow we're off to Manitoba.  Getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment